Thursday, May 21, 2009

I am officially a bike dork!

I can't help it! I love being a bike dork! I went to the Kickstand and bought myself an orange reflective vest so that cars should be able to see me from 1200 feet away. This sorta completes my initial decking out on safety equipment: thick read biking gloves, big stream-lined looking bike helmet that I can't quite get on straight, front and bike lights that blink but really need to be replaces with something much brighter, and now an orange reflective vest.

Well, I really have not been keeping everyone up on my progress, but it's been about 2 months of biking this year and I am almost up to where I was last year. This really should not surprise me at all, but it does. It's making me think that the ten mile route to work will be feasible this year. It is also possible to put my bike on a rack in front of the city bus. I guess now the task that's left other than gaining a good daily distance so that I won't be sore and unable when it's time to bike to work is learning how to use the bike lanes proficiently. They are actually pretty wide for what I need. Now I just have to learn to trust myself riding alongside cars. It can be done! I actually have done this to a limited degree... The hardest part is thinking of riding the small stretch of road to work where people are thinking more about getting to their job or the movie than some silly bicyclist in the bike lane. I've started to see people use these lanes though, and it makes me happy to see it, because I think the more people who do, the more drivers will become accustomed to our presence.

Today, I biked 6.24 km and hit 33.1 km/hr.

No comments: